These are my goals before we even set a date:
1. Have a long discussion about what type of wedding we envision. My vision?
- Large venue with ample lighting (I LOVE BRIGHT LIGHT!)
No more than 200 guests
- Local to Phoenixville - not a destination wedding because destination weddings scream "I don't want you to actually come share our day with us, I just want the gifts"
- I prefer ceremony and reception at same venue - and I don't want a church wedding
- I do NOT want an outdoor wedding (I'm far too unlucky, it'll be horrible weather)
- How many are in bridal party (I'm going with a maid of honor - Laura! and I have 5 bridesmaids that I've asked at this point, that should be it)
- DJ or band? DJ in my opinion, unless we can get the Foo Fighters - haha
- NOT a winter wedding (I hate cold) or a fall wedding (I hate fall colors) - so late spring or summer but not too hot (so basically the most expensive wedding season)
2. Get a rough price estimate for each detail of the wedding -
venue rental, photographer, DJ, cake, catering, honeymoon, bridal party gifts, bachelorette/bachelor party costs, pre-wedding pampering for bridal party, etc
3. Based on the price estimates, we will then budget to be able to afford the wedding in a timely manner. I'd like to avoid taking out a loan but I'm sure we'll have to, I'd just rather pay as much as we can without a loan. I realize this might be a pipe dream, but I refuse to go into massive debt over a wedding when we still have a house to purchase someday soon thereafter, and we plan on popping out 2 more little Hubers someday
4. Based on the budget, we will then set a date.
It is now August of 2012. I'm sure the wedding date will be set for sometime in 2014 at the earliest. I'm in no rush :-)